This is a delicious old-fashioned lemon meringue pie, just like Grandma’s, with the lemon zest added to the juice. If it seems a bit too tricky for you, skip the first step and purchase short crust pastry sheet instead of making it yourself!
Ingredients (8 slices):
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
80g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
6 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups water
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 lemons, juiced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large egg whites
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Start by making the pastry. Place the flour, caster sugar and salt in a food processor. Add 2/3 of the butter and blend it into the mixture.
2. Shape dough into a ball in your flour coated hands, and then flatten it into a round, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. In the meantime, start preheating the oven to 180 degrees and coat a 23 cm round baking tray with a thin layer of butter and a sprinkle of flour to make it non stick.
3. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board, lift and gently press it into the baking dish. Trim pastry overhanging the sides. Prick with a fork and bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden.
4. For the lemon filling, whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt and eggs together in non stick saucepan. Then gradually whisk in the water.
5. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat and whisk continuously until thickened. Remove from heat, whisk in zest, juice, and finish with the remaining butter.
6. To make the meringue, beat egg whites on high speed until at soft peak stage. Add the sugar gradually, the vanilla extract and beating continually until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick & firm.
7. Pour lemon filling into the crust, spread the meringue evenly over the top, making sure it attaches to the crust. Create peaks in the meringue using the back of a spoon.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool before serving.
Store leftovers for a few days in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze it as a surprise for later!